An old poem!

PRACTICAL DREAMS

Newly formed lay the lump of clay
Innocent dreams for each new day
Ill be an elephant..majestic and tall
Or a village scene ;impress and enthrall

In came the potter, worldly wise
Ready to shape and share advice
Dull monotony, oh there will be none
Want to be different when I am done

A derisive laughter echoed around
Dreams are good to have abound
But these dreams wont see you through
Be moulded to suit what is wanted of you

Realization dawned only practical dreams will do
Everyone wants to be a pot..ill be one too
Perhaps I wanted to be a pot all along
I am glad I wouldnt let my potter down

And so it was moulded a lost face a lost name
Part of a lineup where every pot looked the same
Time to be coloured and not all the passion drained
Chance for a lost identity to be reclaimed

Let me be yellow oh the colour and hue
Or maybe lustrous green even sky blue
The aura of black or the passion of red
Dreaming again are we…the potter said..

Look around you fool..any green or black you see
Everyones brown and so shall you be
Numbed down to the core ill do as you say
Your colour your shape I am your clay

Burying dreams that’ll never resurface
Acceptance to be a part of the race
Lead a contented life till I break..
Sad disgruntled but atleast safe


A poem i wrote last year..(yeah yeah i know i am suppose to generate new material..but eh..running low on creativity .so kindly bear)
Now the funny thing about this poem is that i wrote it with the intention that the metaphorical intent should come out in a subtle way. But as you can see..the metaphor is glaringly visible ..almost shouting out loud.."See me See me". But chalta hai..i am learning. But one thing is for sure...any student..mostly college ones can relate to this in some way. I just hope that their kind becomes a rarity in the future. Its not a nice thought ...thousands of youngsters letting go of their dreams and resigning themselves to tread on the announced path.

Comments

  1. Awesome!!

    This is kind of scary, but yes, the Metaphorical display has worked for the writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the poem, the title and all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts